What is the WRAP process?

The Program Administrators at Vermont Gas Systems (for VGS customers), Burlington Electric Department (for BED customers), or Efficiency Vermont (all other customers) will work with prospective customers on completing an energy audit to identify potential weatherization measures and estimate potential energy savings. If your project meets screening criteria and you decide to move forward, they will work with you to complete an application and connect you with an approved contractor.  

After the project is completed, the WRAP charge will be added as a separate line item on the utility bill by your utility provider. (This is the gas bill for VGS customers or the electric bill for non-VGS customers). 

Vermont Housing Finance Agency (VHFA) will be in the background during this process to provide WRAP funding to the Program Administrator to pay the contractor and will inform your utility provider of the amount of the WRAP charge and the length of time the charge will remain on with the property’s utility bill. 


Who is eligible for WRAP?

Vermont homeowners and renters are eligible (see section on renters below).

Since repayment is tied to the utility bill, the program will review your payment history with your utility provider. To qualify, you must have missed no more than 1 payment in the 12 months prior to enrolling in WRAP, and that payment must have been caught up by the next billing cycle. 

The majority of program funding is intended to help households whose annual income is no more than 120% of area median income. If your household income is higher than that amount, you are still permitted to apply for WRAP (subject to funding availability), but you may be eligible for fewer grant incentives.

If you earn less than 80% of area median income, then you are likely eligible for the state Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), which offers free weatherization services, including for renters. While you are still permitted to use WRAP to pay for a project, we encourage you to look into WAP first.

Even if your household or your project isn't a good fit for WRAP, we encourage anyone interested in weatherization to contact Burlington Electric Department, Vermont Gas Systems, or Efficiency Vermont. They may be able to connect you with other incentives or financing to help you pay for your project.


What kinds of properties are eligible?

Residential properties including both single family homes, manufactured/mobile homes, and multi-family homes of up to four units are eligible. However, multi-family buildings must have a single gas or electric meter that is in the building owner’s name, and that building owner must be the person paying the utility bill. 


Can I access WRAP if I am a renter?

Renters can participate in WRAP, depending on the type of building they live in.  

If you rent a single-family home, manufactured home, or a condo or townhouse that is ground-to-sky (that is, not in a building with units on top of other units) and you pay for your gas or electricity bill, you can participate. 

Renters in multifamily buildings of 4 or less units may participate, but the building must have a single gas or electric meter in the name of the landlord who owns the building. The landlord must pay the gas or electric bill, and all the units in the building must participate in the weatherization project. If you are a renter in this type of building, we suggest you encourage your landlord to reach out to the Program Administrator who covers their property. 

For renters in any type of building, you will need to have your landlord sign an agreement to have work done on the unit. 


Is my utility provider signed up?

Currently, only homes that are serviced by Burlington Electric Department, Green Mountain Power, Ludlow Electric, Vermont Electric Coop or Vermont Gas Systems can participate in the program. We hope to continue adding new utility providers to the program soon.   


What kinds of projects can WRAP help with?

Every WRAP project must include weatherization measures that qualify for utility incentives, which typically include measures like adding insulation and air sealing. Additional eligible measures can also include heat pumps, electric water heaters and advanced wood heating systems.  

Electric vehicle charging systems, solar installation and plug-in appliances are not currently permitted under the program. 


How much does WRAP cost?

The monthly charge on your utility bill will depend on the total cost of the weatherization work, and the different incentives offered by the utility company, the Program Administrator and VHFA. In some cases, you may need to pay a portion of the weatherization costs up front.

The monthly WRAP charge includes a 2% interest charge and a small monthly fee charged by the utility. Customers will receive a full breakdown of expected costs and savings before starting a project. 

The program is intended to be cash flow positive for the customer. This means that the expected annual savings from reduced energy bills when the weatherization measures are installed should exceeds the annual WRAP charge on your utility bill, by at least 10%. It is important to note, however, that these savings are not guaranteed because factors such as future energy prices and changes in consumer behavior are outside of our control.

Customers should be aware that they might see both decreases and increases on different utility bills. For example, as part of a project, participants might install weatherization measures and a heat pump. The result might be a slightly higher monthly electricity bill due to the WRAP charge and the cost of running a heat pump, but a lower monthly propane bill due to less fuel needed to keep the home warm. The cost savings target is based on overall energy savings. 


What if I move?

The monthly WRAP charge on your utility bill is tied to your home, not your account. If you sell your home, the next homeowner continue to receive the benefits of the weatherization project and they will pay the WRAP charge on the utility bill. If you are a renter and move, the next tenant will pay the charge on their utility bill.